The last three months of 2017 I spent contemplating and, as a result, I wasn’t able to write much. I was contemplating the purpose of my blog and realised that a lot in me has changed since I started it. But then I think that this a fantastic side effect. Blogging has enabled me to shape my thoughts, to reconsider my views and to realise that one needs changes to improve.
I will now try to summarise the past year to close it in some way. I just feel the need to start a new cycle.
The best moments of 2017
- We did a bit of travelling, starting with a January visit to Copenhagen. Copenhagen is one of our most favourite destinations and we visit the city at least once a year.
- In April we travelled to Gdansk, Poland where I met an old friend after many many years. The city was as charming as I remembered, but the best part of the trip was that my friend and I easily reconnected and chatted as we did 10 years before. How I missed her!
- In the summer we travelled to Italy via Poland and made a three-day stop in Cracow. It was amazing! The atmosphere, the people, the weather, the food and the Old City. We just loved it all. If you ever there, I recommend buffet breakfast at Kolanko Nº 6 (www.kolanko.net) . We haven’t eaten better breakfast since!
- We spent most of the summer holidays in a small town in Liguria. This was the first time we visited this part of Italy and surely not the last one. A definite highlight was the visit to the olive oil museum (www.museodellolivo.com) and factory (www.oliocarli.us) in Imperia and learning about running a family-owned company. We also visited their factory shop where I splurged on olive oils, vegetable sauces and olive-oil based cosmetics. Highly recommended!
- I experienced a lot of great moments with my daughter who turned 4 in November. Since I decided to cut down on my working hours after maternity leave, I have one extra day a week I can spend just with her. Best decision ever!
- In December we decided to escape the Scandinavian darkness and headed of to Tenerife. I returned refreshed, relaxed and tanned; just what I needed this time of the year.
- About 1.5 years ago I joined a local LeanIn Circle through which I met a bunch of inspiring women. When I turned to my circle in a moment of professional and personal dilemma, I experienced strong feminine support. It not only helped me to resolve the issue, but also left me feeling heard, understood and cared about. Thank you, ladies.
- I cooked a lot and tried out many new dishes. Before, I never thought that cooking would give me so much enjoyment! I cook nearly every day, mostly vegetarian or vegan dishes. Meat is a rarity in our kitchen.
Not so great moments of 2017
- In general, I was too tense and stressed too much. I occupied with so many things in the house and at work that I did not allow myself time to relax and rest properly on everyday basis.
- I made a few trials to start exercising regularly, however, because of lack of motivation I never continued.
- Because of lack of inspiration I gave up blogging for the final quarter of 2017. I felt I wanted to write but at the same time I thought that either the topics I had in mind were too obvious or I had to many ideas to write about. As a result I could not focus on writing.
Which moments I want more of
- I want to be more relaxed and be able to focus on the activities that bring me joy. Reading in the sunshine is one of the most relaxing activities I know of!
- I would like to be able to organise more time for my hobbies, including knitting, sewing and writing. I am glad that I picked up knitting and crocheting after a longer break and managed to complete two larger projects.
- Spending time with my daughter is one of the most valuable experiences. She has become a partner in conversation and is more and more curious about the world. I feel happy and privileged that I can be her teacher.
- I will happily spend more time travelling and exploring new places. And I badly want to overcome my flight anxiety.
What were your best moments of 2017?